The role of SMEs in border regions
The Association of European Border Regions (AEBR),
in collaboration with the European Association of Development Agencies (EURADA),
warmly invites you to attend the online seminar
SMEs in Border Regions
(their specific problems, possible solutions, opportunities offered by the new EU Programs and more)
Thursday, 4 February 2021, 10:00 CET, by Zoom (the link will be sent to registered participants).
Please register here.
Opening and introduction
- Martín Guillermo Ramírez, Secretary-General of AEBR, will introduce the workshop, highlighting the role of SMEs for the development of cross-border areas, their current situation in a context of a pandemic, and main challenges and opportunities in the post-pandemic period.
- Esteban Pelayo, Director of EURADA, will present the network and highlight the importance of supporting enterprises in all context, but particularly across borders in current challenging times, promoting collaboration and agreement and a key for success and recovery
- Maarit Nyman, Janos Schmied and Artur Romanek, European Commission, DG GROW, Directorate for COSME programme and SME policy, “The EU SME Strategy for a sustainable and digital Europe”.
- Questions and answers: participants can write their questions in the chat and some will also have the chance to take the floor
The Role of Projects
- Annika Jaansoo, AEBR expert, on the Interreg Europe project InterVentures (Policies to promote the internationalisation of SMEs for more competitive regional ecosystems in border areas of the EU) will introduce the project and give an overview about the situation of SMEs, what are the most interesting findings of the project and how this project is helping SMEs.
- Iveta Malina-Tabune, Head of the Latgale Planning Region Administration and Lead Stakeholder of BusDEV (Business Development Opportunities at External EU Borders) will introduce this ESPON Targeted Analysis.
- Sandra Spule, Spatial Foresight, will present various aspects of BusDEV and answer to the question Is EU external frontier an underutilised business opportunity for the border regions? What did we learn from three pilot regions taking part in this analysis?
The Role of Chambers
- Anthi Panagiotou, Chamber of Commerce of Xanthi (GR)
The Role of Institutional Support (regional agencies)
- Dieter Meyer, MCON Dieter Meyer Consulting, Lower Saxony (DE)
- Helena Matuša, Zagorje Development Agency (ZARA) (HR-SI)
The Role of CB Structures:
- Xosé Lago García, Xunta de Galicia (ES), EGTC Galicia-Norte de Portugal (ES/PT)
Sum up and closing:
Back to overview
- Additional comments by the participants, a summary of the chat
- AEBR, EURADA