AEBR represents border and cross-border regions from Europe.
Following entities can join AEBR:
As full members with voting rights:
- European border and cross-border regions in the Member States of the European Union and the Council of Europe;
- All border and cross-border regions and associations of border regions representing large geographical areas within the European Union and the Council of Europe;
- Chambers of Commerce in border regions, provided their involvement in cross-border cooperation, and other entities considered by AEBR bodies.
As members without voting rights (observers, associated and honorary members):
- Associated members;
- Honorary members who have been of special service to the AEBR;
- Natural persons, associations of individuals, institutions and institutes active in the field of cross-border cooperation can be advisory members.
Border and cross-border regions can obtain observer status for two years before confirming their membership status.